Josefov is the Jewish Quarter in Prague. It is an area of the town completely surrounded by the Old Town and was formerly the walled Jewish ghetto in Prague.
The name Josefov, comes from the Holy Roman Emperor, Josef II, who emancipated the Jews in 1781.
From Medieval times the area has always been a crowded and populous place with up to 20,000 inhabitants. The quarter is now the site of the Prague Jewish Museum which includes six synagogues, the old Jewish town hall and the old Jewish cemetery.