The Jardin du Luxembourg was created by the wife of Henry IV, Marie de Medici in 1612. The gardens were the formal outdoor space for the newly created Luxembourg Palace.
Today, the Senate, one part of the French parliament, occupies the Palace and the gardens are open to the public.
Famed for its calm atmosphere, the garden consists of almost 30 hectares of lawns, tree lined promenades, flower beds and the model sailboats on the circular lake.
The garden is home to a large collection of sculptures and fountains.
The Medici Fountaiin was commissioned by Marie de Medici and built in 1630.
For over 100 years, an early model of the Statue of Liberty by Bartholdi used to stand in the gardens. The original was moved to the Musée d'Orsay in 2012 and replaced with a bronze replica.