The first bridge over the River Amstel at this point was built in 1691. The bridge was narrow and came to be known as Magere Brug or the Skinny Bridge.
Since 2003 the bridge has been limited to foot and cycle traffic. The central section can be raised to allow larger river traffic to pass.
The tale told to tourists involves two wealthy sisteers who lived on opposite sides of the river. They commissioned the building of the bridge to allow them to visit each other daily.