The cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris or Our Lady of Paris, the seat of the Archbishop of Paris, stands on the eastern end of the Ile de la Cite.
Completed in 1345, it is considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture in the world and is among the largest and best known church buildings in the world.
The treasury of the cathedral is notable in that it houses relics reputed to be from the crucifixion of Christ including the Crown of Thorns, a piece of the original cross and a nail from the execution.
In its long history, the cathedral has weathered many attacks, the most serious of which saw the building converted into a warehouse during the French Revolution.
Whilst entry to the cathedral is free, payment is required for visits to the Crypt and the Towers.